An acupuncturist will insert needles into a person's body with the aim of balancing their energy.
This, it is claimed, can help boost wellbeing and may cure some illnesses.
Conditions it is used for include different kinds of pain, such as headaches, blood pressure problems, and whooping cough, among others.
How does it work?
Traditional Chinese medicine explains that health is the result of a harmonious balance of the complementary extremes of "yin" and "yang" of the life force known as "qi," pronounced "chi." Illness is said to be the consequence of an imbalance of the forces.
Qi is said to flow through meridians, or pathways, in the human body. These meridians and energy flows are accessible through 350 acupuncture points in the body.
Benefit of Therapy
- Acupuncture can be beneficial in that:
- Performed correctly, it is safe.
- There are very few side effects.
- It can be effectively combined with other treatments.
- It can control some types of pain.
- It may help patients for whom pain medications are not suitable.